Benedictine monastery

The convent building, built over twenty years starting from 1616, took the place of pre-existing buildings whose destination is unknown, but whose importance is shown by the numerous and large cisterns dug underground.On the side facing the Gate Aragonese, some cisterns have been incorporated perhaps they belonged to the Church of the SS. Savior.

On the opposite side, facing east, a small building has been annexed to the body of the conventfrom the fifteenth century to be transformed into a chapel, under the title of the suppressed church ofSS. Salvatore. The monastery opened on the north front with an arcaded cloister, on the side which it is found some ramps to go down to the tanks mentioned above. The Benedictine nuns of Santa Chiara used the building of the walled city until 1734, the same year of their transfer to the new and more equipped convent built in the meantime just outside the walls on the S. Francesco ascent.


Terranova C.P. La città murata Dalla visita al "memorabile viaggio.", in Milazzo Nostra n. 28-29 - Marzo - Luglio 2011, p. 23