Mill Tower

The tower, owned by the Ragusi family, can be seen on the left side of the road leading to the Cape, just before the fork to Belvedere. It is a cylindrical tower tapering upwards, located about 90 metres above sea level, and built of exposed metamorphic stone, with an access door and several quadrangular openings distributed over the two internal floors of the building. The first information on the place where it stands dates back to the 16th century, when a document calls it 'the hill of Cola Villano' (a personage of the time, notable for his rank and wealth). In the map of the Naples Archives from the mid 18th century, no construction is marked on that hill. The first graphical information on it dates back to the map published in 1823, and drawn up, on the basis of surveys carried out personally, by Captain W. Smith of the British Navy, who indicates the building as 'The Mill'. However, local tradition also speaks of its use as a watchtower and signal tower.